Prep time: 120 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Serves: 14 people
Vetkoek is so yummy it makes your mouth water just reading about it! This traditional Afrikaans meal is fried dough served with either a sweet or savoury filling. This easy recipe will help you get the basics right.
6 Cups cake flour
1 ½ tsp Salt
1 Pkt Dried yeast
2 tsp Sugar
2 to 2 ½ Cups warm water
¼ Cup Sunfoil Sunflower Oil
6 Cups Sunfoil Sunflower Oil
1. Mix the flour, salt, yeast and sugar in a large bowl.
2. Make a hole in the middle of the flour mix and add in 2 cups of water and ¼ cup of Sunfoil Sunflower oil. Mix well until a dough forms, you may need to add extra water if the dough is too dry.
3. Knead the dough for 10 minutes on a floured surface (or in a mixer with a dough hook)
and add extra flour if the dough is sticky. The dough should be elastic and smooth in
4. Grease a large bowl with oil and add in the dough, lightly coat the dough with oil and
cover the bowl with a damp dish cloth. Allow the dough to double in size. This will take
approximately 1 hour.
5. Pinch off pieces of dough and roll into balls, just smaller than a tennis ball size.
6. Place the balls onto a floured surface and gently flatten the balls down once with the
palm of your hand. Cover and allow to rise again until they have doubled in size.
7. In a deep fat fryer or in a pot of oil, heat oil to 175 °C and fry the dough in the hot oil for
2-3 minutes a side until golden brown.