- Prep:45 mins
- Cooking Time:10 mins
Carbonara is a firm favourite amongst pasta lovers. And the good news is that you don’t have to give up this tasty treat if you’re vegan. Our vegan carbonara is ideal for those following a plant-based diet and ensures all the yummy deliciousness and nutritional goodness of a pasta dish.
- 1 tbsp Sunfoil Oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Tamari
- 1 tbsp hot chilli sauce or Sriracha
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 200g dry linguine gluten-free, pasta-cook as package instructions
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts, soaked overnight in 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup Sunfoil Oil
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. For the Vegan “Bacon”: Mix together in a bowl, the Sunfoil Oil, Tamari, hot chilli sauce
and smoked paprika. Toss in the coconut flakes and leave to stand in the mixture
to marinate for 15 minutes.
3. Place the coconut strips on a tray lined with parchment paper, try not overlap them.
4. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes then take out the oven stir, lay flat and cook for a further 5
minutes in the oven.
5. Take out and repeat the above step, place back in the oven for two minute intervals,
stirring at every interval until coconut is crisp, be careful not to burn them.
6. To make the sauce: Strain the cashew nuts and place in blender with the Sunfoil Oil,
garlic, nutritional yeast, almond milk, salt and black pepper. Blend until smooth in texture.
7. Add into the sauce with the olive oil and 2/3 of the coconut bacon to the hot pasta, coat
the pasta well.
8. Serve in a bowl and garnish with the remaining coconut bacon and black pepper.