- Prep:60 mins
- Cooking Time:30 mins
Unicorn cupcakes are every little girl’s dream. So, set aside some mommy-daughter time to make and decorate these cute, novelty cupcakes that you can share at a kid’s party or all on your own, just because unicorns are so magically fantastic.
- 225 g WoodenSpoon Yellow
- 500 ml / 2 cups castor sugar
- 4 XL eggs
- 750 ml / 3 cups flour
- 250 ml / 1 cup water
- 15 ml / 3 tsp baking powder
- 500 g WoodenSpoon White
- 1 L (4 cups) icing sugar
- Pink, yellow and sky blue gel food colouring
- Jumbo disposable piping bag
- Large star nozzle
- 200 g white fondant icing
- 10 ml / 2 teaspoons tylose powder
- Gold dusting powder
- Pink dusting powder
- Water for mixing
- Regular piping nozzle to cut out ears
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cream the WoodenSpoon Yellow and castor sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs 2 at a time and beat until well mixed.
- Add the flour and water and beat until just incorporated, scraping the sides and bottom of your bowl with a spatula and beating briefly again.
- Fold in the baking powder.
- Spoon the mixture into fancy lined cupcake cups.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until done.
- Place on cooling racks to cool.
- Beat the WoodenSpoon White until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar and beat until light and creamy.
- Divide the icing between 3 bowls, and add pink to one, yellow to another and blue to the last bowl.
- Cut the end of a disposable piping bag off and insert a large star nozzle.
- Carefully fill the piping bag with the 3 colours by using a long spatula and spreading each different colour up the side of 1/3 of the piping bag, so that you have 3 panels of colour.
- Mix the white plastic fondant icing with tylose powder.
- Working quickly before the icing hardens, roll half out on a surface dusted with corn starch, cut 18 – 20 rounds using the back of a piping nozzle, cut in half
- and pinch the bottom together to make a unicorn ear. Leave to dry.
- Divide the remaining icing into 18 – 20 pieces. Roll each piece into a 10 cm long string, then fold in half and twist to make a unicorn horn. Leave to dry.
- Mix a little gold dust with water to make a paste and using a small paint brush, paint each horn gold and leave to dry.
- Mix a little pink dust with water to make a paste, and brush the inside of each ear.
- Pipe a rosette on each cupcake with the prepared piping bag of icing, push a horn into the centre and place an ear on each side as per the image.
* Baked, un-iced cupcakes freeze well.
* To make chocolate cupcakes, replace 3/4 cup flour with 3/4 cup cocoa powder.
* An easier way to make the unicorn ears and horn is to use 18 – 20 mini marshmallows and mini cones. Cut the mini marshmallows diagonally for the ears and paint the mini cones gold for the horn.