- Prep:90 mins
- Cooking Time:60 mins
Baking bread is easier than you think! Umbako, also known as mealie bread, is an ideal side dish for meals like stew or curry. Try your hand at one of the best homemade bread recipes by using these easy to source ingredients and following this straightforward method.
- 2 Cups cake flour
- 2 Cups wholewheat flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 pkt (10g) Instant dried yeast
- 1 Cup tinned whole sweetcorn, drained
- 1 Tin creamed sweetcorn
- 1 Cup warm Water
- 2 Large eggs, beaten
- ¼ Cup Sunfoil Sunflower Oil
- 2 tsp Sunfoil Sunflower Oil for coating the bread
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C, grease a 25 x12.5 x 5.5 cm loaf tin and lightly coat with flour.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flours, salt, chilli powder, paprika and yeast.
3. Mix the whole sweetcorn, creamed sweetcorn, warm water, eggs and oil together.
4. Make a hollow in the flour mix and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix well, but do not
over mix, the mixture should resemble a sticky, thick dough.
5. Pour into a loaf tin, lightly coat the top of the dough with oil. Cover with a damp dish
cloth and allow to stand in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.
6. Bake in a preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes or insert a skewer into the bread and if it
comes out clean, the bread is ready.
7. Take out the oven and leave the bread to stand in the tin for 10 minutes then remove and
allow to cool on a cooling rack.