- Prep:15 mins
- Cooking Time:175 mins
Umgqusho (or Samp & Beans) is a traditional South African favourite that's packed with flavour.
To make the recipe, you will need to soak the beans overnight so be sure to plan ahead.
- 500g Speckled Sugar Beans
- 500g Samp
- 2 Liters of water for soaking and 2 liters of water for cooking
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Sunfoil Sunflower Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 kg Brisket beef – cubed
- 1 Onion
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ Beef Stock Cube
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- ½ Packet Brown Onion Soup mixed with ½ Cup Water
1. Soak the samp and beans overnight in 2 liters of water.
2. Strain the samp and beans, place in a large pot, pour in the remaining 2 liters of water
and bring to the boil then Simmer slowly for roughly 1 ½ hours or until samp and beans
are nearly soft (most of the water would have absorbed into the samp/beans).
4. Stir in the salt.
5. In a separate pan, pour in the oil and brown the meat.
6. Remove the meat from the pan then sauté the onions.
7. Once the onion has softened, add back the meat and Garam Masala, sauté for a further
8. Mix together the stock cube and boiling water, add to the meat and simmer for 45
minutes until the meat is soft and tender.
9. Pour the meat mixture into the samp and beans with the brown onion soup mix, stir well
and leave to cook on a very low heat for a further 10 minutes.
10. Taste and season with extra salt and pepper if required.