Spicy wors, buttery pap and a sweet tangy tomato relish, an absolute classic South African Dish.
Today I’m sharing my recipe for this beautifully flavoured tomato relish which just takes this classic meal to the next level.
- 30 ml Sunfoil Sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fruit chutney
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a pot and fry onion until soft
2. Add the crushed garlic, chopped tomatoes, chilli flakes, sugar, chutney and tomato paste
3. Allow the tomato mixture to cook on a medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes to ensure that it does not stick
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper