- Prep:35 mins
- Cooking Time:27 mins
This vegan-friendly breakfast recipe is as nutritious as it is tasty. High in fibre and protein, the recipe is great for those following a plant-based diet and, in addition to offering fantastic flavours with a variety of herbs and spices, the recipe is also easy to make. Try out this vegan shakshuka for an aromatic and flavourful breakfast meal.
- 2 tbsp Sunfoil Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red chillie, deseeded and chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup passata
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tin tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup Calamata Olives, de-stoned
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 100g smoked tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp basil, chopped
1. In a deep-based pan, heat the oil and sauté the onion with the chilli for 5 minutes.
2. Add in the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the cumin, paprika and black pepper, cook the spices for a few minutes.
4. Pour in the Passata, water, tomato and sugar, cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 10
5. Mix in the chickpeas and spinach, simmer for a further 10 minutes.
6. Sprinkle over the Calamata Olives, chopped coriander, smoked tofu and chopped basil.
Allow to simmer for 5 minutes and serve hot.