- Prep:65 mins
- Cooking Time:35 mins
This delicious chocolate vegan cake uses ingredients that are suitable for those following a plant-based diet. The vegan-friendly substitute ingredients are easy to source and the recipe is quite straightforward. If you’re a fan of dark chocolate, we definitely recommend trying this out – even if you’re not vegan! The cake is perfect as an after-dinner dessert or as a late afternoon treat with tea.
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups white cake flour
- 1 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate powder
- 1/2 cup Sunfoil Oil
- 1 cup apple puree (get tinned apple and puree it)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla essence
- 1 cup boiling water
- 300g dark chocolate, vegan
- 1/3 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped-topping
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C and grease two 18 cm cake pans. Line with greaseproof
2. For the cake: pour the almond milk into a bowl and stir in the lemon juice, set aside to
3. Sieve the flour, caster sugar, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together, stir
well to combine.
4. Pour the oil, apple pure and vanilla essence into the curdled almond milk, mix.
5. With a hand held beater or mixer, mix the oil mixture into the flour until a batter forms.
6. On a low speed, gradually add in the boiling water, the batter will become very runny,
this is normal.
7. Pour the batter equally into the cake tins and bake for 30-35 minutes.
8. To test if the cake is done, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake and if it comes
out clean, the cake should be cooked through.
9. Take out the oven and leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning them out
onto a cooling rack. Remove the greaseproof paper
10. For the icing: over a double boiler, melt the chocolate and almond milk together, mix
once the chocolate has melted.
11. Stir in the icing sugar, 1 tbsp at a time. If the mixture is too thick, stir in a tablespoon of
boiling water to get the consistency you want.
12. Once the cake has cooled, place one of the cakes onto a serving dish and spread half the
icing onto the cake. Set the other cake on top of the iced cake and ice the top layer
with the remaining icing.
13. Sprinkle with chopped almonds or nuts and serve.