- Prep:10 mins
- Cooking Time:15 mins
Pumpkin fritters, or pampoen koekies in Afrikaans, are a delicious meal that can be served as either a breakfast treat or as a dessert. Indulge your taste buds with this savoury-sweet combination.
The well-loved South African recipe uses pumpkin that is fried and then drenched in salted caramel sauce. Pumpkin fritters are best served warm so make sure that you try to eat them hot off the griddle. The salted caramel sauce can be substituted for confectioners sugar or a sugar-cinnamon mix for some crunchy sweetness.
- 1 cup cooked, drained and pureéd pumpkin
- 1 cup cake flour
- 10ml baking powder
- 30ml caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 60ml milk
- 1ml salt
- Sunfoil Sunflower oil, for deep frying
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup cream
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 60ml Sunshine D Original Margarine brick
- ½ cup golden syrup
- 5ml sea salt flakes
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and fry spoonfuls of the batter, in batches, until golden brown and cooked through, approximately 2 – 3 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the fritters from the oil and allow to drain well on kitchen paper.
- Repeat, until all the fritters are cooked and keep warm.
Salted Caramel Sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and allow to cook over a medium heat for 10 – 15 minutes until the sauce is thick and glossy.
- Pour the syrup over the warm fritters and serve at once.