- Prep:15 mins
- Cooking Time:55 mins
Pap and sauce, or stywe pap with sheba, is a tasty, cost-effective, quick and easy meal that’s perfect for the busy parent or singleton.
Whip-up the signature tomato relish like an expert with this simple and easy to follow recipe.
- 2 Tbsp Sunfoil Sunflower Oil
- 1 Large onion
- 1 Green Chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, crushed
- 1 x 410 g Tin Tomato, chopped
- 1/3 C Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme, chopped
- ¼ Cup Fresh coriander, chopped
- ¼ C Fresh Basil, chopped
- ¼ tsp Salt and extra to taste
- 1 ½ Cups Mealie Meal
- 5 Cups Water
- ½ tsp Salt
- 500 g Boerewors
1. Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onions, chilli and ginger until the onion is translucent
2. Add in the tinned tomato, tomato sauce, sugar and water, cook for approximately 15
3. Stir in the herbs and let it simmer for a further 5 minutes.
4. For the pap, heat 3 cups of water in a saucepan and add the salt.
5. Mix the remaining 2 cups of water with the mealie meal in a bowl until smooth.
6. Add the mealie meal to the boiling water and stir continuously until the mixture becomes
7. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft and fluffy.
6. Place boerewors in a shallow pan and grill on a moderate to high heat for 10 minutes then
turn and grill on the other side until golden brown and cooked through.
7. Serve a little mealie meal pap, sauce and boerewors on a plate.