- Prep:30 mins
- Cooking Time:80 mins
Bredie is a well-loved, flavourful family meal… and it’s so easy to make! This tomato based recipe uses a combination of household staple herbs and spices, so you are sure to add this to your regular weekly meal plan.
- 2 Tbsp Sunfoil Sunflower Oil
- 2 Onions, chopped finely
- 1 kg Shoulder of mutton, cut into small pieces
- 3 Garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 6 Black peppercorns
- ¼ tsp Ground black pepper
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Cans tinned tomato
- 3 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp White sugar
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Large potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 tsp White vinegar
- ¼ Cup Fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp Fresh thyme, chopped
1. Heat the oil in a large, deep based pan and sauté the onions until translucent,
approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the meat, garlic, peppercorns, ground pepper, bay leaves and salt, sauté for 30
minutes stirring occasionally. Add a little water if the mixture dries out too much.
3. Add in tinned tomato, tomato paste, white sugar, chilli powder and water, continue
simmering for a further 30 minutes.
4. Mix in the cubed potatoes and simmer for an extra 30 minutes.
5. Stir in the vinegar, parsley and fresh thyme, simmer for 10 minutes then remove off the
heat. Allow to cool and refrigerate.
6. A bredie improves in flavor if it is left overnight in the fridge.
7. Reheat, taste, season and serve with rice.