A hearty home made spicy chillie con carne made with simmered mince kidney beans, jalapeños and peppers, delicious spices, a shot of South Africa’s favorite spicy Nando’s hot sauce. and topped off with cheddar cheese.
- 2 tablespoons Sunfoil Sunflower oil
- 1 kg lean ground beef, shredded
- 1 bag corn chips
- 1 1⁄2 white or purple onion, finely chopped
- 2 peppers (red and green), chopped
- 1 or 2 jalapenos, sliced round
- 1 Tbs ginger and garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can of kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 can of chopped and peeled tomatoes with mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon of Nando's Sauce
- 1 can of Mexican style tomato and onion
- 1 can corn kernels, rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 or 1 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1 1/2 cups cheese
1. Heat the oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the mince and cook until brown. Remove from the pan and strain out excess liquid.
3. Add the onion, peppers sliced jalapenos, and slightly brown.
4. Add the ginger and garlic and fry for 2 mins.
5. Add the chillie powder and cumin and cook over medium-low heat until fragrant (about 2 to 3 min)
6. Add the Nando’s sauce, beans, corn and the 2 cans of tomatoes. Bring to a simmer.
7. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thick (about 15 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
8. Stir in the coriander then top with the cheese. Cover and let stand until the cheese melts (5 to 10 minutes).
9. Place a handful of corn chips in 4 bowls. Top with the chili and serve.