- Prep:5 mins
- Cooking Time:15 mins
Melkkos is definitely a proudly South African heritage recipe. The combination of childhood nostalgia and creamy comfort food is reason enough to try your hand at making this traditional pudding that you won’t find on the shelves at any supermarket.
Melkkos is especially delicious when served up as a warm winter dessert. So make your granny proud and master the art of this meal with our easy recipe that you and your family will soon learn to love and enjoy.
- 50g sugar
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 90g cake flour
- 2ml salt
- 80ml Sunshine D’Lite 40% fat spread
- 50g sugar
- 1.5L milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2ml ground nutmeg
- 5ml sea salt flakes
- Mix the sugar and ground cinnamon together.
- Rub together the flour, salt and fat spread in between your fingertips until it is crumbly.
- Add the sugar and mix through. Heat the milk, cinnamon stick and ground nutmeg in a large pan.
- Bring to boil, then simmer, gradually adding spoonfuls of the crumble mixture, whisking continuously.
- Cook, while still whisking, for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove and discard the cinnamon stick and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve a spoonful of melkkos in a bowl, topped with a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar. Top with another spoonful, ending with a layer of cinnamon sugar.