- Prep:14 mins
- Cooking Time:45 mins
This lemon squares recipe is an easy baking recipe that combines pastry and lemon flavoured filling. The combination of a crisp crust and creamy filling is a dream for anyone with a sweet tooth. The delicious, sweet, tart and tangy citrusy squares are a perfect afternoon treat.
Be sure to serve them with softly whipped cream. Follow our simple recipe by measuring out all the necessary ingredients properly and following the recommended method to ensure best results.
- 250g Wooden Spoon Yellow Margarine
- 100g caster sugar
- 300g cake flour
- 3ml baking powder
- 1ml salt
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 500g caster sugar
- 30ml grated lemon zest (4-6 lemons)
- 100ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 50g Wooden Spoon Yellow Margarine, melted
- 125g cake flour
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 20 x 30cm baking tin.
- Place the margarine and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat, using an electric beater, until the mixture is pale and creamy.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and, with the mixer on low, mix until just combined.
- Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and bring together into a ball.
- Place the pastry into the tin and flatten the dough out with floured hands until it forms a base layer.
- Chill the pastry layer for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Bake the pastry for 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Place the eggs and caster sugar into a bowl and whisk, using an electric beater, for 3 minutes.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, melted margarine and flour and whisk for 1 minute.
- Pour the filling over the cooked pastry base and bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until just set.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Cut into squares and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
- Dust lightly with icing sugar before serving.