- Prep:15 mins
- Cooking Time:30 mins
Lamb moussaka rolls is a traditional, savoury Greek casserole dish that is an excellent family dinner.
This healthy recipe uses a combination of lamb mince, vegetables and herbs that are easy to source or even grow yourself.
The casserole is a low-carb recipe and uses the tasty, fried brinjals in which to roll up the spicy lamb mince, which is then baked in a succulent tomato and herb sauce.
Serve the rolls up with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and a fresh green garden salad.
- 2 large brinjals
- 45ml Sunfoil Sunflower Oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500g lamb mince
- 10ml ground cumin
- 15ml ground coriander
- 15ml tomato paste
- Salt & milled black pepper
- 45ml fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 x 400g jar tomato-based pasta sauce
- To serve: 60ml Parmesan cheese
- Slice the brinjal lengthwise, into long thin strips. Brush each side with some oil.
- Heat a griddle pan to high heat and cook the brinjal slices, in a single layer, for 2-3 minutes per side or until tender.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat and add the mince, cooking until browned.
- Stir in the cumin, coriander and tomato paste.
- Cook for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in the fresh coriander. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Pour the pasta sauce into an ovenproof dish.
- Lay a brinjal slice on a chopping board and place 2 tablespoons of the mince mixture at one end and roll up into a cannelloni-like shape.
- Place the roll, end side down, into the baking dish, in a single layer. Repeat with the remaining brinjals and mince mixture.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
Serve with a green salad and top with fresh coriander, if desired.