- Prep:10 mins
- Cooking Time:5 mins
These deep-fried mushrooms are the perfect snack or starter at a dinner party. Just make sure that you serve them when they’re hot! Mushrooms are like sponges so they have the knack of absorbing all the flavours that they’re coated with so they’re particularly tasty when fried up in this delicious, spicy combination.
The coating is simple and very easy to prepare.
Once deep-fried, the mushrooms are served up with a creamy aioli and lemon, but you could always substitute this for another dip of your choosing.
- 250g assorted mushrooms
- 250g cake flour
- 5ml paprika
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 250g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 500ml Sunfoil Sunflower Oil, for frying
- Salt and milled black pepper
- Season the flour with paprika, salt and pepper.
- Toss the mushrooms in the flour, shaking off any excess flour.
- Coat each of the mushrooms in the beaten egg, then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pan or deep-fat fryer.
- Deep fry the mushrooms for 2 – 3 minutes, in batches, until golden and crispy.
- Carefully remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Aioli – garlic mayonnaise (see recipe)