- Prep:20 mins
- Cooking Time:35 mins
Chakalaka is a hot and spicy relish served hot or cold over mealie pap and as a favourite sauce for the traditional braai. Whatever your particular preference for this tasty tomato based sauce, we have an easy recipe that is full of flavour and spices.
- ¼ Cup Sunfoil Sunflower Oil
- 1 Large onion, chopped finely
- 1 Green chilli, seeded and chopped
- 3 Clove garlic,crushed
- 1 Tbsp ginger, chopped finely
- 2 Tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 Green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Yellow pepper, Finely chopped
- 4 Large carrots, topped, tailed, peeled and grated
- 3 Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tin (400g) baked Beans
- 1 tsp Thyme, fresh, chopped
- ½-1 tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup water (if needed)
- 1 tsp White wine vinegar
- ½ Cup coriander, fresh, chopped
1. Heat the Sunfoil Sunflower oil in a pan and sauté the onions until translucent, approximately 5 to 10
2. Stir in the chilli, garlic and ginger, sauté for a few minutes.
3. Add in the curry powder, paprika, turmeric and stir until combined.
4. Mix in the green, red and yellow pepper, cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add in the carrots and mix well.
6. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato paste, making sure the mixture is well combined and
cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
7. Remove from the heat and add in the baked beans, thyme, salt, water (if needed), vinegar
and coriander, stir well.
8. Taste and season, garnish with extra freshly chopped coriander.