- Prep:15 mins
- Cooking Time:500 mins
South Africa has brought the world many innovations and none so well-loved as the classic rusk.
The perfect breakfast meal for those early mornings or as an after-dinner snack in the evening. Dunking a rusk into your favourite hot beverage is enjoyed by many South Africans regardless of the time of day.
This nutty and crunchy bran rusk recipe includes all the wholesome goodness you need to ensure that you can enjoy a healthy, sweet snack with your tea or coffee.
- 4 cups self-raising flour
- 4 cups digestive bran
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 5ml salt
- 5ml baking powder
- 1 cup sunflower seeds or mixed seeds
- 1 cup dates, finely chopped
- 1 cup Wooden Spoon Yellow Margarine
- 2 cups plain yogurt or buttermilk
- Place all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the margarine in a pan and pour into the dry mixture with the yogurt.
- Pour the mixture into two greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 170°C for 50 – 60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into rusks and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 70°C and bake the rusks for 4 – 4.5 hours, allowing the rusks to dry out.
- Allow to cool completely, before storing in an airtight container.