- Prep:10 mins
- Cooking Time:135 mins
This wholesome casserole recipe is an excellent family meal option, especially on cold winter nights.
Stews and casseroles are always a firm favourite in many South African homes, so try-out our recommended braised beef with mushrooms recipe.
The recipe itself is relatively straightforward and uncomplicated to prepare, using easy to source ingredients.
Once you are done with the initial prep work, it’s simply a matter of popping it on the stove-top, on a low heat, to cook for a little over an hour, before serving up the delicious and filling meal to your diners.
- 15ml + 15ml Sunfoil Sunflower Oil
- 800g beef short rib
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 red onions, peeled and diced
- 10ml paprika
- 15ml tomato paste
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 500ml beef stock
- 250g mushrooms, halved
- Salt and milled black pepper
- 10ml fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the beef, in batches, for 2-3 minutes, or until browned.
- Transfer the meat to a plate and fry the garlic and onions, over a low heat, for 5-7 minutes, or until the onions have softened.
- Increase the heat and return the meat to the pan.
- Stir in the paprika, tomato paste, tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook over a low heat for 1 ½ hours.
- Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 30 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with parsley.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.