- Prep:10 mins
- Cooking:45 mins
Here’s a great South African recipe! Crispy cheesy pap balls are the perfect starter for a social function.
Take ordinary pap mixture and give it a glamour makeover with this tasty idea.
- 250ml milk
- 500ml water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5ml salt
- 250ml Maize Meal
- 20ml (2 tablespoons) finely chopped parsley
- 250ml (1 cup) dry breadcrumbs
- 200g mature cheddar cheese, cut into small squares
- 2 Litre Sunfoil Sunflower Oil
- Bring the water, milk, and salt to a boil in a pot.
- Slowly whisk in the maize meal.
- Turn heat to low and continue whisking for 5 minutes or until the porridge is smooth and creamy.
- Add in the chopped parsley and freshly ground black pepper.
- Transfer into a bowl and allow to cool.
- When completely cool, take a handful of porridge flatten it in the palm of your hand, place a block of cheddar🧀 in the centre and wrap the the porridge around the cheese, forming a ball (the size of a golf ball).
- Dip the ball into the beaten egg mixture and then into the breadcrumbs
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with a tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce or dip of your choice.